Monday, December 14, 2009

Fly Tying

Here are a couple more experimental flies I did just for tune up.

Had to work the old Thompson vise over because the jaws twisted on me and you can't tie with a anti goggling hook. I bought the vise with paper route money 61 years ago so I guess it has given good service. (I broke off a set screw and had to drill it out and re-thread for a larger machine screw. So while I was at it, I put two set screws in and it should not turn now!)

The top fly has a dubbed fir body, with a wing case tied on the rear and brought forward over the body. Wings next, from a pheasant wing feather. A small tuft of deer hair tips next followed by two-tone hackle, grizzly and brown.

The bottom fly has a cream yarn body striped with red floss that also loops at the rear. Next a tuft of deer hair followed by another tuft which is spun and trimmed for a muddler look.

Again, these are for practice and experimentation, not following any pattern or recipe.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment